Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Hare-Brained Scheme That Actually Worked*


Often, when I am about to go away, I feel the overwhelming desire to pick up a brand new project and fully expect to finish it in the 2-7 days (evenings) I have unrealistically set aside for it. This really never works. I usually get half-way through before I am frustrated at my own unrealistic expectations which causes me to abandon the project entirely or else to stay up way too late to finish it. Therefore, I begin my trip sleep-deprived and am often wearing/carting around something that can be only be called "finished with compromises" (safety pins are my friends).

For once I timed it right. I was overwhelmed with the "need" for a new traveling hat exactly one week prior to departure. I stopped at purlsoho on the way home, agonized briefly over which koigu colorway—for me this is hard, I love wildly colorful patterns in fabric but generally do not like them in my yarn— and was on my merry way. Clutching a printout of sock pixie's beret, I set to casting on and knitting madly. Despite a short period of retreat from some mistakes during a movie that Saturday night (but can I really be blamed for concentrating more on yet another viewing of The Third Man than on my knitting?) I was able to make enough progress that weekend to warrant tucking all other projects away so as to not let them tempt me.

I managed to finish it Friday night, just before heading to the airport. There is a tiny compromise in it...it has a little un-woven-in tail of yarn, but I'm still charmed by it and was happy to wear it.
Oddly enough, (to me, anyway) chevrons proved to be a quite common decorative element in many of the towns that we saw.

Here's the hat in action—though this photo is really all about the background.



*No offense to any hares or relatives of hares. = : x

No comments: